Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas in NC

Erin tagged me for a Holiday Hoopla! The Random Christmas Hoopla! Here goes:

1. List 12 random things about yourself that have to do with Christmas

2. Please refer to it as a 'hoopla' and not the dreaded 'm'-word (which, for you bloggy newbies, is meme)

3. You have to specifically tag people when you're done. None of this "if you're reading this, consider yourself tagged" stuff is allowed...then nobody ends up actually doing it. The number of people who you tag is really up to you -- but the more, the merrier to get this 'hoopla' circulating through the blogosphere.

4. Please try and do it as quickly as possible. The Christmas season will be over before we know it and I'd like to get as many people involved as possible.

___________________________________________________________
1. I love the fact that my wonderful husband is on board to help with the seasonal decorating. In fact, this year, he went and picked out the tree all by himself! :-) If it was up to him...he probably wouldn't take the time to get one since we travel so much for the holidays...but he does it because he knows that it is special to me.
2. I don't do theme trees. I like random ornaments that mean something. A "tradition" Shawn and I have started is that each time we go somewhere, we buy an ornament. I had so much fun this year pulling the ornaments out and saying "Remember when..."! I love it!!!

3. Unlike Erin (who tagged me) I like colored lights. Now not just any colored lights... I ONLY like the big bulbs that are opaque/not clear. And I like to put them very close to the trunk. Then we put the small clear lights closer to the edges. It gives it such a warm cozy feeling. Plus, that's how my family always did our tree when I was growing up...
4. I absolutely LOVE to give gifts. I am all the time seeing things and wanting to buy it for people... Christmas or not. So therefore I prefer to give than receive.

5. I love to drive around and look at Christmas lights. Actually, I like to ride while Shawn drives...especially on Christmas Eve. It's even better in the snow!

6. Speaking of snow... it just isn't quite the same without snow. I remember when I was a kid... snow wasn't a question. It seemed like there was ALWAYS snow for Christmas. "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas, just like the ones I use to know..." *singing* I find it amusing that I can even say "back when I was a kid"

7. Must watch Christmas movies.... Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer, A Christmas Story, Elf, The Nativity, Charlie Brown's Christmas

8. I look forward to having kids someday and sharing Christmas with them. Shawn and I have not yet decided what traditions we would like to start and what to do with the whole Santa thing... but it is a time I look forward too!

9. This is the nativity that was given to my by my Grandma Hess. I remember it from my childhood. The year 1984 is written on the side of the box with a note that says, "For Becca, someday". She finally gave it to me this past year. I guess she figured I am old enough to take care of it now. 10. Speaking of nativities... this is a tea light candle holder Shawn and I bought last Christmas. I think it is beautiful and will cherish it for years to come. Maybe someday I can write a note on it to give it to grand kid. :-)
11. Something my family always enjoys at Christmas is watching my mom's dog open presents. She just loves to tear the paper off. She is getting old and mom believes this may be her last Christmas, so mom bought her lots of stuff to unwrap this year.

12. Wow... I almost made it... one last thing... I saved the best for last. I am amazed by the true meaning behind Christmas. Watching the movie The Nativity really helped to make it even more real this year. You read about it in Luke 2. You hear people say nonchalantly "Jesus is the reason for the season"... but have they really dwelt on it. I enjoyed reading my friend Shelia's perspective on the night Jesus was born. I can't even wrap my mind around it completely. God's plan to save the world from their sins, was sent in the form of a helpless babe. For you...for me...

I am going to tag.... Michelle! She is just as bad as I am about blogging... Erin helped me out... now it is my turn to help her out!

2 comments:

Erin said...

Your tree is beautiful (colored lights and all!) Thanks for sharing your Christmas thoughts! I hope y'all are having a wonderful time with your families!

Jessica said...

I love the nativity. It is so sweet that your Grandma saved it for you. I hope you guys had a great Christmas...did you get any snow? None here!