Friday, January 18, 2008

Like a Morning Fog

James 4:13-15 (New Living Translation) 13 Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” 14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. 15 What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.”
Proverbs 27:1 Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring forth.

We tend to place a lot of faith in our plans for the future. We take tomorrow for granted. I find myself putting things off...expecting that tomorrow-next weekend-next month will be there. The fact is, we don’t know what tomorrow may bring or even if there will be a tomorrow. The one thing we can be sure of is that God knows what tomorrow will bring. Tomorrow is in His hands.

The Lord has recently reminded me of this in a -not-so-easy-to-swallow- kind of way.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She wrote to me, "I was searching on myspace for people that can be positive influences in my life. I ran across you and thought I'd add you and send you a friendly hello."

She continued to say that she was back in the area and was trying to get her life back on track. She wanted to come back to Westwood...back to church where she knew she belonged...but was struggling with a few things. I encouraged her to come and not worry about what people might think, and sure enough, she was there the next morning! She even made it to Sunday School! It was such an exciting time and I was eager to see how the Lord was going to use me is this situation. Once service was over, we made some quick small talk, hugged, and planned to keep in touch during the week. How was I suppose to know that there would be no tomorrow for Jessica? How was I suppose to know that God had other plans for His child who had recently returned to Him. He was ready to take her home. It wasn't until later that evening that I got the call about the accident. My plans...her plans...were not His plans...But...His plans are far more than I could ever imagine...We must trust His plans.
Jessica White 1-17-08

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow Becca. That really touched me! Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

I know that God is going to show Himself to so many people through this unexpected event. I'm so glad God used you to be an example to her and allowed us to see how God works in mysterious ways...drawing His children back to Himself. Jessica is an awesome reminder of God's sovereignty as well as His patience He has for each of us. I am praying for you as you go through this and excited about the chances you and Shawn have had and will have to minister because of this.