Saturday, March 22, 2008

Easter Relevance (the series)

This blog was written by my husband Shawn- last Easter- I couldn't have said it any better myself...

Easter's Relevance...(part 1)
With the Easter holiday on the horizon...I would like to know what Easter means to you personally. Post a comment and let me know.


Easter's Relevance...true story. (part 2)
The Easter bunny, coloring and hiding boiled eggs, a story about a crucified man. What does Easter mean to you? That was the question I asked a little over a week ago. I have always known the true story of Easter, however, I really didn't understand what it meant to me. I feel that even this year I am just now really understanding what Easter is all about. The four gospels all tell the same story, each adding their details. Jesus came to Bethlehem, was betrayed by a kiss for 30 pieces of silver, tortured and beaten, lead to a cross, nailed to it, and died. However, on the third day the stone was rolled away and there was an empty tomb! So what happened to this man Jesus? Matthew says in verse 28:6, 'The angel answered, "...He is not here; for He is risen, as He said."' Then before the book of Matthew ends just 14 versus later, Jesus appears to 13 people. I am pretty sure that 13 eye witnesses would hold up in any modern day court of law. Jesus has conquered the grave, death, and sin! Still, some would like you to believe the tomb was robbed. Some say even if somebody discovered the very bones of Jesus, their faith would not be changed. I completely disagree...


Easter's Relevance...I crucified a man. (part 3)
That would change everything. Romans 10:9 states, "that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved." Am I missing the part where it says "if I believe that Jesus died for my sins?" NO. The crucifixion and death is not the whole story. I must believe that Jesus lives. He is alive today just as much as He was alive 3 days after His horrible crucifixion. Only now He is seated at the right hand of God interceding for me...and you!So, Easter is a time of year that I remember that I have been made right with God through one man...Jesus. The man that I crucified. I am thankful for the movie "The Passion". As I watch that movie I can't help but get so mad at the people that spit on Jesus, hit Jesus in the face, flog Jesus for his outlandish teachings, make fun and tease and mock Jesus, and continue to beat him while He is carrying his cross. But I realize that everytime I sin I am doing the same thing to Jesus. When I use His name in vain, I mock Jesus. When I lust, I spit on Jesus. When I don't put Him first, I slap Jesus' face. I wasn't in the movie and I definitely wasn't alive 2000 years ago to see it, but I was there on the heart of Jesus. And I was one of the people that was jeering and beating Him down. Even though I have done all this, Romans 8:34 says, "...It is christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us." The man I helped crucify pleads to God for me. What Amazing Grace and Love! I just want you to know that this same forgiveness that has been given to me, is available for anyone that can recognize and turn from your sin, confess the Lord Jesus with their mouth, and believe that God has raised him from the dead! So, it seems to me that Easter's message is still very relevant today. It can be applied to anyone's life at anytime. It doesn't take some special ritual or even a special place. Just the quietness of your heart. Jesus is risen! Celebrate it with your life. Please, feel free to hit me up with a comment.

No comments: